Sometimes, for various reasons, you may be forced to give your baby powdered milk. The reasons could be many. If your baby was born prematurely, the doctor might advise you to give him powdered milk to help boost his immune system.
There could also be other reasons where the mother is absent or might want to return to work and therefore, the baby has to be given milk powder. No matter what the reason is, there is always anxiety attached to choosing the best baby milk powder in India.
Related: Top 10 Baby Carrier in India
After having reviewed all the baby milk powders in India based on various factors like type, form, ingredients, nutritional benefits, price and much more; my team and I zeroed in on 10 that really stood out. These 10 were put through a series of stress tests to determine the best. We found that:
The best baby milk powder in India is Nestle LACTOGEN 1 baby milk powder. This is a spray-dried milk powder specifically made for infants who are below the age of 6 months. Additionally, it contains a lot of nutrients and proteins that are easy to digest. It is also enriched with probiotics that help build the good bacteria in the baby’s gut, aiding comfortable digestion.
Related: Best Baby Monitors In India
- Best Baby Milk Powders In India
- Nestle LACTOGEN 1 baby milk powder
- Nestle NAN PRO 2 baby milk powder
- Farex 1 B milk powder for babies
- Enfamil A+ Stage 1: Infant Formula Baby milk powder
- Similac Advance Stage 1 Infant Formula baby milk powder
- Aptamil Stage 2 milk powder for babies
- Dexolac Special Care Infant Formula baby milk powder
- Neocate baby milk powder in India
- Nusobee baby milk powder in India
- Nestle NAN Pro 1 baby milk powder
Best Baby Milk Powders In India
There are a lot of brand names in the market selling baby milk powders. You don’t know if these are genuinely good, how they are made and if you can trust them.
Here is a list of the best baby milk powders available in the Indian market to take away some of the stress of parenting. Don’t forget to go through some FAQs at the end of this article.
Nestle LACTOGEN 1 baby milk powder
Nestle is one of the world’s leading brands when it comes to baby food. Their quality of ingredients and the high standards followed are unbeatable.
- Sold under different names, Nestle has a variety to offer depending on each age group.
- Lactogen 1 is spray-dried milk powder specifically made for infants who are below the age of 6 months.
- At this tender age, their digestive systems are delicate and they require a lot of care, nutrition and hygiene.
- Lactogen 1 is enriched with probiotics that help build the good bacteria in the baby’s gut, aiding comfortable digestion.
- Nestle is without a doubt, a premium product and is, therefore, priced accordingly.
Lactogen 1 is present.
Nestle NAN PRO 2 baby milk powder
Though Nestle has a wide range of milk powders and instant food and formula for children of all ages, we have chosen only the ones created especially for babies to be listed here. The Nan Pro 2 is the second one here.
- This is a “follow up” formula, which is meant for babies older than the age of 6 months.
- At this stage, their digestive system is still quite sensitive, but better than it was when they were younger.
- They also start eating some regular solid foods at home.
- This product has more ingredients to ensure that babies receive their dose of vitamins along with the milk.
- The milk powder is spray-dried to maintain hygiene and nutrition.
- This is a bit more expensive than the other products out there, but it’s definitely worth it for your baby.
The milk powder for babies is dried to maintain hygiene.
Farex 1 B milk powder for babies
Farex is a brand that has been in the market for many years. The parent company, Danone, is well-known across the world. In fact, most of the parents of today might have been given Farex when you were a baby.
- The company has maintained its quality and is trustworthy. This milk powder, packaged and sold as “Farex 1” is meant for newborn babies up to the age of 6 months when they are at their most sensitive.
- It mixes up quickly and easily and the consistency feels just right for the baby.
- There is a measuring cup given along with the box to help you measure accurately.
- This is also a premium product, priced alongside the Nestle products.
Good in quality.
Enfamil A+ Stage 1: Infant Formula Baby milk powder
The next baby milk powder on our list is the one by Enfamil. Like any good brand, Enfamil also has various types of milk powders for different age groups.
- The A+ Stage 1 is for babies up to the age of 6 months. These baby milk powders contain choline and iron.
- They also are enriched with DHA, which is supposed to improve the brain function of the baby.
- The sugar content in this is quite low compared to other products. Enfamil A+ stage 1 is more expensive than the Nestle baby milk powders and Farex. Go for it after consulting your baby’s doctor.
Enriched with DHA.
Similac Advance Stage 1 Infant Formula baby milk powder
Similac products are very successful and popular in the market as the nutrition they provide is similar to what a baby gets from his mother’s milk.
- There are different products for different age groups, but the one we are reviewing is meant for babies below 6 months of age.
- The packaging is impressive with a sealed foil packet and an outer plastic box that can be snapped shut.
- As long as it’s not exposed to moisture, the product inside can be kept safe.
- This milk powder has very little sugar and is enriched with omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.
- It also has other minerals like zinc, choline, folic acid, iodine and calcium to keep the baby well nourished.
- It is priced competitively with the other baby milk powder products in the market.
Enriched with omega 3 and 6.
Aptamil Stage 2 milk powder for babies
This baby milk powder is by the brand Aptamil. This internationally popular name is definitely worth a try as they are known for their high-quality products.
- We are reviewing the stage 2 in the series, which is a follow-up formula meant for babies between the ages of 6 months and 1 year.
- Since this is the case, Aptamil Stage 2 is enriched with other ingredients that provide nutrition to support the immune system, like zinc, selenium and vitamins.
- It also has added nutrition to aid visual function and stimulate brain development of the baby.
- Since it has whey protein and is made of lactose, it is delicate on the baby’s stomach to avoid any digestional issues.
- The downside is the consistency. We felt it could be a bit thicker.
Consistency is not thick.
Dexolac Special Care Infant Formula baby milk powder
The last one on our list of the best baby milk powders in India is Dexolac special care formula for infants.
- This has been developed for infants who are premature and need the extra boost to catch up with the missed out development.
- The ingredients are light and simple and can be used for the tender newborns with delicate systems.
- It comes in a good tin that is easy to store.
- It is priced similarly to the other reputed brands in the market.
Best for premature babies.
Neocate baby milk powder in India
Neocate is an exclusive product that caters to children who are intolerant to cow’s milk. It follows an amino acid formula of milk production.
- This baby milk powder brand promotes weight in children and is suitable for children upto the age of 12.
- It works well for babies who are allergic and have certain reactions to proteins.
- The best part is that it is lactose free, so you don’t have to worry about it being safe.
Safe for children with allergies.
Nusobee baby milk powder in India
Nusobee baby milk powder is a premium product for babies that parents opt without a doubt in their mind about their child’s safety.
- This baby milk powder brand is great for children who have a sensitive stomach and are prone to diarrhea and other problems. It is very gentle on the baby’s body.
- It is also great for babies who are lactose intolerant.
- Although this brand is a bit more hard to get than the others on our list, we would say it is worth the buy as it considers all your baby’s options.
Safe for the baby.
Nestle NAN Pro 1 baby milk powder
NAN Pro 1 is spray dried and is a great substitute for those babies that are not being breastfed.
- It has a strong combination of Whey protein, Vitamins A, C, D, and iron and zinc which is sure to strengthen your baby’s bones and give your body immunity.
- The main feature of this baby milk powder is that it improves brain development.
- The container is pretty big like the previous version that it does stay long.
- This baby milk powder costs you about Rs.615 which is pretty reasonable.
Really good for brain development.
There is a lot of stigmas attached to giving your baby powdered milk. Here are some frequently asked questions answered for you to put your mind at ease:
Is powdered milk safe for my baby?
Yes, it is. This is just regular milk dehydrated and in a concentrated form, with all the nutrients intact. It is also rid of all the bacteria commonly present in milk and can help avoid infections and allergies. However, only give powdered milk if your doctor prescribes it. At the end of the day, the mother’s milk is the best for the baby.
Types of Baby Milk Formula
There are essentially three types of baby milk formula. Each type has it’s own benefits. However, they vary largely in price.
Ready to Use Formula
Ready to use formulas are extremely convenient. They come in container that easy to open and it can be served immediately. So, you can feed your child immediately without having to go through the tedious process of preparing the milk, like the other types of baby mild formula. However, it happens to be extremely expensive and can cost you a lot of money in the long run.
- Liquid concentrate is exactly as it sounds, it’s a concentered version of baby milk formula. The biggest benefit of this type of baby formula is the preparation time. You simply need to the required parts of formula and water and feed your child.
- Powdered formulas are the most common type of baby milk formula. Because they are rather cheap, you need a lot more time to prepare them. The powdered formula also has a long shelf life. To prepare it you need to mix it with water and put it into a bottle.
Tips To Choose The Best Baby Milk Powders
While there are various baby powders and even various formulas in different forms, there are certain things you need to consider. This is especially important for new parents who’re just learning how to go about the whole parenting thing. Please refer to the following list of factors:
- Dietary Needs of the Baby: You need to consult your paediatrician before you even start using a formula. In fact, we recommend you over-communicate when it comes to your baby. Ask the doctor all sorts of questions. Because your child might or might not require a certain brand of formula.
- Health: Formula might not be the best thing if the baby is ill. So, again you need to talk to your doctor before you buy your baby milk powder. You also need to talk to your doctor in case your child is allergic to a compound found in a specific type of baby milk powder.
- Price: As mentioned earlier, the powdered form of baby milk formula is the cheapest. So, you can buy a considerable amount for very little money. However, there are brands that are slightly expensive as it offers more. So, be sure to do your research before you end up buying your brand.
Buyer’s Guide – Best Baby Milk Powders In India
How to choose the best baby milk powders in India? Well, the simple answer is, ask your paediatrician. Your baby’s doctor knows best and will advise you. He might even prescribe a couple of brands you could use.
In the event that the doctor tells you that you can use any brand, go for one that is specifically meant for the age group your baby falls into. You can use the above list as a guideline. However, please do refer to buying guide below for all the details.
- Getting a baby milk powder with the right ingredients is absolutely vital. After all, it’s key when it comes to the baby’s initial development. So, getting a baby powder with the wrong ingredients might have detrimental effects. Baby milk powders usually come as:
- Cow’s Milk-Based Formula: This is the most common type of baby milk powder. Cow milk is the main ingredient, making it rather easy to digest. The manufactures of course add essential proteins to make it more beneficial.
- Soy-Based Formula: Soy-based alternative formula is perfect for not only babies on a vegan diet but also those that are allergic to cow milk. While soy protein does have its pros and cons, it’s still rather useful for children suffering from issues such as galactosemia. Please consult your paediatrician before purchasing alternatives.
- Hydrolyzed Formula: This is the best type of baby powder milk formula for babies that are allergic to other types of formulas. The hydrolyzed formulas contain already broken down proteins that are easy for the baby to digest. These are not be confused with lactose-free formulas that contain a different sugar like corn syrup.
What is spray-dried milk powder?
Spray drying is a process used to dehydrate any liquid and convert it into powder. This process is healthy because it ensures that the powder (baby milk powder in this case) retains its nutrients.
What is the shelf life of baby milk powder?
Baby milk powder certainly has a longer shelf life than regular milk because it is spray-dried and has no moisture. You can ensure this by transferring the contents to a clean, airtight jar as soon as you open the packaging. Always use a dry spoon to scoop out the contents. For the actual shelf life, refer the date printed on the box and follow that strictly.
Advantages Of Using Baby Milk Formula
While it doesn’t beat breast milk, baby milk formula is still quite nutritious and it also happens to have loads of benefits as well. So, if the mother is struggling with the production of breast milk, then formulas can be a really useful alternative. Here are some of the advantages of using baby milk formula:
No Maternal Restrictions
- This is the biggest benefit of a baby milk formula. Other than the natural restriction like limitations in the quantity of breast milk, there are various other issues that can crop up. For example, the mother’s diet. The mother not only needs to eat healthy food but she must also not consume alcohol. So, baby milk formula can come in handy if your want to take a break. It will also help if the mother is sick and can’t go near the baby.
- The mother also won’t have to get on supplemental diet to regulate the formation of breast milk.
- Baby milk formula is extremely conveniet as it can let anyone feed the baby. It doesn’t have to be restricted to the mother. So, they can relax or travel without having to worry about the child. This also allows the baby to bond with somebody other than the mother. Feeding the baby builds a innate sense of trust and dependency. Which is why babies are usually fond of their mother.
- So, dads can now feed the baby with the help of the bottle without worrying about the bonding aspect. Of course, the baby milk formula can also help the mother get some sleep at night. It allows the spouse to take care of the feeding needs.
- In fact, baby milk powders can allow not just parents but even relatives and caregivers to take over. So, that the parents can take care of their errands.
- Most importantly, you can always keep a track of how much you’re feeding your child. By tracking the amount of powder, you can ensure that the child isn’t being overfed. After all, you can never tell the amount of milk the baby consumes when it is fed breastmilk. You can also regulate and create a routine so, the baby gets just the right amount of nutrients.
Privacy in public
- With the baby milk powder moms don’t have to worry about feeding their child in public. You also don’t have to wear special kind of clothes or look for private places.
How do I prepare the formula?
Always follow the steps given on the box for preparation of the milk for your baby. This will ensure that the nutrients are retained and your baby gets the best out of the meal. Another important step is to sterilise the utensils, including the spoon you will be using to mix, before preparing the mixture. Also, wash your hands with a block of disinfectant soap or hand wash before touching any of these items.
Other things to be aware of:
- When you start using the product, keep an eye out for your baby’s reaction. If you notice any discomfort, constipation or loose stools, immediately discontinue and inform your pediatrician. Every baby is unique and it will take you time to figure out and identify your baby’s intolerances and allergies. What works for one may not work for another
- Make sure the product is not tampered with. Even if you have the slightest doubt, return the package or destroy it. It is not worth experimenting with your baby
- There are some brands that enrich their milk powder with other nutrients. Check with your doctor if this is ok for your baby
- Always use a measuring cup with markings to measure out the powder. Never guess the quantities when you prepare, especially for babies below the age of 6 months
- Always prepare only one feed at a time. Never make extra to store.
We do hope our carefully curated list has helped you with some clarity on the best baby milk powders in the Indian market.
Kishen is the Editor-in-chief of Best India Products and is also our top reviewer. He loves testing product quality and is extremely fond of accessories that bring value to the user.
Check out Bestindiaproducts.com for all of his Reviews and Guides!