Sometimes, for various reasons, you may be forced to give your baby powdered milk. The reasons could be many. If your baby was born prematurely, the doctor might advise you to give him powdered milk to help boost his immune system. There could also be other reasons where the mother is absent or might want to return to work and therefore, the baby has to be given milk powder. No matter what the reason is, there is always anxiety attached to choosing the best baby milk powder in India.
- Baby Milk Powder In India 2020
- Best Baby Milk Powders 2020
- #1 – Nestle LACTOGEN 1 baby milk powder
- #2 – Nestle NAN PRO 2 baby milk powder
- #3 – Farex 1 B milk powder for babies
- #4 – Enfamil A+ Stage 1: Infant Formula Baby milk powder
- #5 – Similac Advance Stage 1 Infant Formula baby milk powder
- #6 – Aptamil Stage 2 milk powder for babies
- #7 – Dexolac Special Care Infant Formula baby milk powder
- #8 – Neocate baby milk powder in India
- #9 – Nusobee baby milk powder in India
- #10 -Nestle NAN Pro 1 baby milk powder
- Is powdered milk safe for my baby?
- How do I choose the right milk powder for my baby?
- What is spray-dried milk powder?
- What is the shelf life of baby milk powder?
- How do I prepare the formula?
Baby Milk Powder In India 2020
There are a lot of brand names in the market selling baby milk powders. You don’t know if these are genuinely good, how they are made and if you can trust them.
Here is a list of the best baby milk powders available in the Indian market to take away some of the stress of parenting. Don’t forget to go through some FAQs at the end of this article.
Best Baby Milk Powders 2020
#1 – Nestle LACTOGEN 1 baby milk powder
Nestle is one of the world’s leading brands when it comes to baby food. Their quality of ingredients and the high standards followed are unbeatable.
- Sold under different names, Nestle has a variety to offer depending on each age group.
- Lactogen 1 is spray-dried milk powder specifically made for infants who are below the age of 6 months.
- At this tender age, their digestive systems are delicate and they require a lot of care, nutrition and hygiene.
- Lactogen 1 is enriched with probiotics that help build the good bacteria in the baby’s gut, aiding comfortable digestion.
- Nestle is without a doubt, a premium product and is, therefore, priced accordingly.
Lactogen 1 is present.
#2 – Nestle NAN PRO 2 baby milk powder
Though Nestle has a wide range of milk powders and instant food and formula for children of all ages, we have chosen only the ones created especially for babies to be listed here. The Nan Pro 2 is the second one here.
- This is a “follow up” formula, which is meant for babies older than the age of 6 months.
- At this stage, their digestive system is still quite sensitive, but better than it was when they were younger.
- They also start eating some regular solid foods at home.
- This product has more ingredients to ensure that babies receive their dose of vitamins along with the milk.
- The milk powder is spray-dried to maintain hygiene and nutrition.
- This is a bit more expensive than the other products out there, but it’s definitely worth it for your baby.
The milk powder for babies is dried to maintain hygiene.
#3 – Farex 1 B milk powder for babies
Farex is a brand that has been in the market for many years. The parent company, Danone, is well-known across the world. In fact, most of the parents of today might have been given Farex when you were a baby.
- The company has maintained its quality and is trustworthy. This milk powder, packaged and sold as “Farex 1” is meant for newborn babies up to the age of 6 months when they are at their most sensitive.
- It mixes up quickly and easily and the consistency feels just right for the baby.
- There is a measuring cup given along with the box to help you measure accurately.
- This is also a premium product, priced alongside the Nestle products.
Good in quality.
#4 – Enfamil A+ Stage 1: Infant Formula Baby milk powder
The next baby milk powder on our list is the one by Enfamil. Like any good brand, Enfamil also has various types of milk powders for different age groups.
- The A+ Stage 1 is for babies up to the age of 6 months. These baby milk powders contain choline and iron.
- They also are enriched with DHA, which is supposed to improve the brain function of the baby.
- The sugar content in this is quite low compared to other products. Enfamil A+ stage 1 is more expensive than the Nestle baby milk powders and Farex. Go for it after consulting your baby’s doctor.
Enriched with DHA.
#5 – Similac Advance Stage 1 Infant Formula baby milk powder
Similac products are very successful and popular in the market as the nutrition they provide is similar to what a baby gets from his mother’s milk.
- There are different products for different age groups, but the one we are reviewing is meant for babies below 6 months of age.
- The packaging is impressive with a sealed foil packet and an outer plastic box that can be snapped shut.
- As long as it’s not exposed to moisture, the product inside can be kept safe.
- This milk powder has very little sugar and is enriched with omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.
- It also has other minerals like zinc, choline, folic acid, iodine and calcium to keep the baby well nourished.
- It is priced competitively with the other baby milk powder products in the market.
Enriched with omega 3 and 6.
#6 – Aptamil Stage 2 milk powder for babies
This baby milk powder is by the brand Aptamil. This internationally popular name is definitely worth a try as they are known for their high-quality products.
- We are reviewing the stage 2 in the series, which is a follow-up formula meant for babies between the ages of 6 months and 1 year.
- Since this is the case, Aptamil Stage 2 is enriched with other ingredients that provide nutrition to support the immune system, like zinc, selenium and vitamins.
- It also has added nutrition to aid visual function and stimulate brain development of the baby.
- Since it has whey protein and is made of lactose, it is delicate on the baby’s stomach to avoid any digestional issues.
- The downside is the consistency. We felt it could be a bit thicker.
Consistency is not thick.
#7 – Dexolac Special Care Infant Formula baby milk powder
The last one on our list of the best baby milk powders in India is Dexolac special care formula for infants.
- This has been developed for infants who are premature and need the extra boost to catch up with the missed out development.
- The ingredients are light and simple and can be used for the tender newborns with delicate systems.
- It comes in a good tin that is easy to store.
- It is priced similarly to the other reputed brands in the market.
Best for premature babies.
#8 – Neocate baby milk powder in India
Neocate is an exclusive product that caters to children who are intolerant to cow’s milk. It follows an amino acid formula of milk production.
- This baby milk powder brand promotes weight in children and is suitable for children upto the age of 12.
- It works well for babies who are allergic and have certain reactions to proteins.
- The best part is that it is lactose free, so you don’t have to worry about it being safe.
Safe for children with allergies.
#9 – Nusobee baby milk powder in India
Nusobee baby milk powder is a premium product for babies that parents opt without a doubt in their mind about their child’s safety.
- This baby milk powder brand is great for children who have a sensitive stomach and are prone to diarrhea and other problems. It is very gentle on the baby’s body.
- It is also great for babies who are lactose intolerant.
- Although this brand is a bit more hard to get than the others on our list, we would say it is worth the buy as it considers all your baby’s options.
Safe for the baby.
#10 -Nestle NAN Pro 1 baby milk powder
NAN Pro 1 is spray dried and is a great substitute for those babies that are not being breastfed.
- It has a strong combination of Whey protein, Vitamins A, C, D, and iron and zinc which is sure to strengthen your baby’s bones and give your body immunity.
- The main feature of this baby milk powder is that it improves brain development.
- The container is pretty big like the previous version that it does stay long.
- This baby milk powder costs you about Rs.615 which is pretty reasonable.
Really good for brain development.
There is a lot of stigmas attached to giving your baby powdered milk. Here are some frequently asked questions answered for you to put your mind at ease:
Is powdered milk safe for my baby?
Yes, it is. This is just regular milk dehydrated and in a concentrated form, with all the nutrients intact. It is also rid of all the bacteria commonly present in milk and can help avoid infections and allergies. However, only give powdered milk if your doctor prescribes it. At the end of the day, the mother’s milk is the best for the baby.
How do I choose the right milk powder for my baby?
Well, the simple answer is, ask your paediatrician. Your baby’s doctor knows best and will advise you. He might even prescribe a couple of brands you could use. In the event that the doctor tells you that you can use any brand, go for one that is specifically meant for the age group your baby falls into. You can use the above list as a guideline.
What is spray-dried milk powder?
Spray drying is a process used to dehydrate any liquid and convert it into powder. This process is healthy because it ensures that the powder (baby milk powder in this case) retains its nutrients.
What is the shelf life of baby milk powder?
Baby milk powder certainly has a longer shelf life than regular milk because it is spray-dried and has no moisture. You can ensure this by transferring the contents to a clean, airtight jar as soon as you open the packaging. Always use a dry spoon to scoop out the contents. For the actual shelf life, refer the date printed on the box and follow that strictly.
How do I prepare the formula?
Always follow the steps given on the box for preparation of the milk for your baby. This will ensure that the nutrients are retained and your baby gets the best out of the meal. Another important step is to sterilise the utensils, including the spoon you will be using to mix, before preparing the mixture. Also, wash your hands with a block of disinfectant soap or hand wash before touching any of these items.
Other things to be aware of:
- When you start using the product, keep an eye out for your baby’s reaction. If you notice any discomfort, constipation or loose stools, immediately discontinue and inform your pediatrician. Every baby is unique and it will take you time to figure out and identify your baby’s intolerances and allergies. What works for one may not work for another
- Make sure the product is not tampered with. Even if you have the slightest doubt, return the package or destroy it. It is not worth experimenting with your baby
- There are some brands that enrich their milk powder with other nutrients. Check with your doctor if this is ok for your baby
- Always use a measuring cup with markings to measure out the powder. Never guess the quantities when you prepare, especially for babies below the age of 6 months
- Always prepare only one feed at a time. Never make extra to store.
We do hope our carefully curated list has helped you with some clarity on the best baby milk powders in the Indian market.