Your eyes are the windows to your soul. Your eyes can express happiness, anger, annoyance and every other emotion in a fraction of a second. Makeup for the eyes dates back to many centuries ago when women used colour and kohl to highlight the sparkle. You, in the 21st century, can sure add some drama with the help of eyeshadow. It is understandable that not everybody is a pro when it comes to applying eye shadow, so here are some of the best eyeshadow palettes for beginners in India.
Eye shadow palette in India 2020
#1 – Maybelline New York The Blushed Nudes Eyeshadow Palette
- Good quality makeup does not come cheap and that holds true for Maybelline New York. – The Blushed Nudes Palette is priced on the higher side but the number of shades you get and the quality of the makeup is excellent.
- One of the best choices for beginner makeup enthusiasts, the Blushed Nudes gets you equipped with a combination of 12 matte and shimmer shades that are easy to apply and blend.
- The richness of the pigment in these shades brings out the actual colour with just one swipe, offering you glam looking eyes.
- Blend in the light pink and light gold shades to give you that “peaches and cream” look with a hint of sparkle.
- Layer on the bolder colours for the evening to bring out the colour of your eyes and give you a luminous appearance.
#2 – Makeup Revolution London Ultra Eyeshadow palette for beginners
While 32 shades might feel a little overwhelming to a budding eye makeup enthusiast, the Makeup Revolution London makes this feel like a piece of cake with shades that are close to each other, super blendable and with good amounts of pigments in them.
- These don’t come cheap, of course, but you get what you pay for.
- This palette moves away from just nudes or shimmers to give you a wider variety to experiment with.
- Not for the faint-hearted, you get a range of blues and purples apart from the usual pinks and browns.
- If you are a newbie, start with blending just one neutral and one brighter shade.
- After you get comfortable, progress to blending more than two shades.
- This palette will cater to you no matter where in your eye shadow journey you are in.
#3 – Makeup Revolution London New-Trials vs Neutrals eyeshadow palette for beginners
For those who don’t want to risk it with the Ultra Eyeshadow palette of stronger and bolder colours, the New-Trals vs Neutrals palette is simply perfect.
- With shades ranging from light creams to pretty pinks to darker browns, this is a palette that makes it really easy to blend shades and come out looking like a doll.
- This also has a good combination of matte and shimmer that makes this a universal palette for any occasion.
- Jazz it up for parties with the glittery shades and use the matte ones for your weekday work or school mornings.
- These shades go well with all Indian skin tones as you will realise as you start blending them.
- These do cost quite a bit but the good news is, you can often get them on discount on websites online.
#4 – Maybelline New York The 24K Gold Nude Palette
Another palette from Maybelline New York for beginners is the 24K Gold Nude Palette. As the name goes, this palette is meant for parties and to create super shiny and glittery looks.
- The shades have intense metallic pigments and show up brilliantly when applied.
- Blending these is also easy and that’s why this palette is apt for a person experimenting and learning makeup.
- These are very blendable with either your fingertips or a sponge applicator.
- Do apply a base or concealer before you use the eye shadow palette to get the best out of it.
- Blend two or three shades, combining the browns with the gold to create a lovely honeydew look.
- Use the green blended with gold depending on our outfit for the evening or the browns for a smokey effect.
#5 – L.A. Girl Beauty Brick Eyeshadow palette
This palette is strictly for those who love to create drama wherever they go! Bold and brilliant colours, this eyeshadow palette by L.A. Girl is fun and young and vibrant.
- The colours are not exactly “neon” as the name suggests, but they are strong and have intense pigments.
- The colours pop with just a couple of swipes, and they make your eyes pop too.
- These are perfect for Indian skin tones and for occasions here that involve us wearing bright colours and standing out in a crowd.
- If you are a beginner using this, we would advise you to be careful while blending different colours as each of these shades is very different and not really close to each other.
- However, the consistency of the cakes is of high quality and the brush provided is quite convenient.
- This palette is priced competitively in the market and is worth investing in if you like bold colours.
#6 – Wet ‘n Wild Color ComFort Zone
This product by Wet ‘n Wild is one of the most gorgeous eyeshadow palettes you will come across. With a beautiful blend of earthy colours, this is perfect for dusky and darker skin tones to give you an olive or dewy appearance.
- It also goes well on fairer and wheatish skin tones to play up the eyes.
- The combination of shimmer and matte cakes are completely blendable and with intense pigments.
- You can use the matte shades to create a subtle workday look and layer on the shimmery shades for a wet evening party look.
- The package comes with instructions on how to blend eyeshadows in, which is quite helpful to follow if you are a novice.
- What we love best about this palette is the price – totally affordable for such an awesome piece.
#7 – Lakme 9 to 5 Eye Color Quartet Eye Shadow, Desert Rose
It’s not possible to come up with a list of beauty products without our own brand, Lakme. Proudly Indian, and serving Indian women for the past few decades, Lakme has come a long way from just the basics.
- Perfect for beginners, the Lakme 9 to 5 Eye Color Quartet Eye Shadow collection offers just 4 beautiful shade options, making it simple and easy to pick.
- The Desert Rose is a versatile set which has subtle colours like pink, brown and light gold.
- These are some of the best shades a beginner can play with to create lovely eyes for work or evening events.
- These are not bold shades, yet they come with high intensity of pigment that lasts long.
- They have a subtle shimmer that brings an instant sparkle to the eyes without feeling too overpowering.
- A much bolder look can be achieved too by simply going over the eyes a few times and blending the shadow in well.
#8 – Lakme 9 to 5 Eye Color Quartet Eye Shadow, Tanjore Rush
Here is another eyeshadow palette from Lakme’s 9 to 5 Eye Color Quartet which we believe would be an amazing one to own, for beginners. The Tanjore Rush is made in India, for India. No Indian event is complete without vibrant colours, silk and embroidered clothes and sparkling jewellery.
- The only kind of makeup that goes well with these clothes is some brilliant and bold makeup.
- The Tanjore Rush is something beginners can experiment with for those weddings and other events with jewel colours like forest green, a Kanchipuram silk purple, and deep yellow gold.
- These are also intensely pigmented, offering brilliant sparkle, yet not going over the top, and are long staying.
- Apply a layer of neutral or subtle gold or shimmer and then blend in the shade of your choice to achieve some drama for that special occasion.
- These are also kind on your wallet, especially if you are looking to experiment.
While it is fairly easy to choose a single or individual eyeshadow, choosing a palette is always tricky. Most beginners always end up with one or two shades in the palette untouched. Sometimes the colours look good in the palette because of the “cheerleader effect” but when you start applying the shades, they don’t really come out as well as you expected. Below are some FAQs to help you decide which are the best eye shadow palettes for you:
How do I choose eye shadow colour?
The colour of your eyes and your skin tone plays the most important role here.
- Choose earthy shades for darker eyes colours
- Highlight green and grey eyes with shades of pink.
Combine this with the tone of your skin:
- For fairer skin, use cool shades
- For dusky skin tones, use warm shades
Once you have established this, experiment a bit and figure out what your preference is between matte and shimmer.
Apart from this, decide on what occasions you most frequent. If the events you attend are Indian, where you wear a lot of jewellery and heavy Indianwear, go for jewel and glittery colours that sparkle in the evening lights. If you are going to wear makeup for work every day, opt for subtle matte shades that highlight your eyes and make you look fresh.
Do you apply dark or light eyeshadow first?
Always the lighter shade first. This not only makes it easy to blend, but it also acts as a prep for your darker shades to sit on and help last longer. Use the lighter shade on your crease. Where you blend your darker shades will decide the effect you finally achieve. Blend in the darker shades on the innermost part will help your eyes pop while placing it on the outsides will give you that smokey eye effect.