Indian skin tone is unique. It is so unique that you find so many shades across the country, from the palest white to the duskiest brown, each one so beautifully gorgeous. But, this has also proven to be difficult to find the right highlighter for Indian skin as most brands make shades that they think are versatile for all the races of the world. This frustration led us to try out a lot of makeup brands to find the best highlighter for Indian skin.
Highlighters for Indian skin 2020
|Indian skin tone||Type of highlighter||Highlighter for Indian skin||Link|
|Dusky skin||Cream highlighter||Lakme face magic souffle||Link|
|Fair skin tone||Liquid highlighter||Swiss beauty skin highlighter||Link|
|Medium skin tone||Liquid highlighter||Swiss beauty||Link|
|Oily skin||Powder highlighter||Lakme sun expert compact||Link|
|Dry skin||Cream highlighter||Blue heaven highlighter||Link|
#1 – Maybelline New York Face Studio Master Chrome Metallic Highlighter for indian skin
Here we have Maybelline topping the list of the best highlighters for Indian skin tone and for good reason. Maybelline makeup is also moderately priced and therefore light on the pocket and of very good quality, so you don’t have to compromise on the safety of your skin.
- The Face Studio Master Chrome Metallic highlighter is a favourite with many for the subtle shimmer it lends to the face without looking too white or shiny.
- It has a reflective pigment that is rich enough to be applied just once to give you a subtle glow for a day event.
- Apply on a little more for a stronger metallic sparkle for an evening event. It blends well with fingertips or a brush.
- It comes in a very basic packaging of pressed powder, so don’t expect anything too fancy, but it does the job perfectly.
- This highlighter is available in two warm shades, a “Molten gold” meant for wheatish and dusky skin tones and a “Molten rose gold”, for fairer Indian tones.
|Meant for dusky as well as fair skin tones||Packaging is basic.|
#2 – Swiss Beauty Beauty Brick Highlighter for indian skin
The Swiss Beauty Brick Highlighter is a value for money pack where you get five shades of powder highlighters in one compact set.
- The packs are of a good size, so you get enough of each shade to use for a while.
- You have three options to choose from, with each set comprising 5 related shades.
- This is very useful for makeup lovers who like to mix and match and experiment with their looks without busting loads of cash on every shade available in the market.
- The bronze set is perfect for duskier skin tones whereas you have a set of silvers and peaches for fairer skin tones.
- The quality of the makeup is quite good for the price.
- It is soft and light on the skin. You can use a soft brush or the tips of your fingers to blend this in over your foundation.
- It spreads well with a subtle shimmer and you can see that your skin takes on a natural highlight.
- The other advantage is that since you have so many shades in each palette, you can also use another shade as a blush or eyeshadow to add a bit of colour.
|Many shades available.||Cannot promise high quality.|
#3 – Swiss Beauty Insta Glow Highlighter for Indian skin
Swiss Beauty is a budget brand making wonderful makeup that is safe on the skin. We have another highlighter from Swiss Beauty on our list, and this one is a stick or cream highlighter.
- Super easy to use, you don’t have to be an artist or an expert to use a stick highlighter.
- You get five shades that are apt for Indian skin colours.
- The highlighter is creamy and does not leave your skin feeling patchy.
- The darker shades spread quite well and blend to give you a warm glow without making you look too white or shiny.
- The silver might be a bit too bright on duskier skin tones but it looks alright on fairer tones.
- We did notice one thing though. The quality of the stick highlighter does not feel on par with Swiss Beauty’s powder foundation. It feels a bit heavier when compared to the softness of the powder. This could be because it has a cream base which is thicker.
#4 – L’Oréal Paris Glow Mon Amour Highlighter for indian skin
The next one on our list of the best highlighters for Indian skin is the lovely liquid highlighter from L’oreal. Aptly named “Glow Mon Amour”, this truly makes you look like you are glowing from within with that warm shimmer.
- Liquid highlighters can be a bit tricky to apply as it requires some amount of practice and expertise.
- It also depends on the quality of the product. L’oreal liquid highlighter is really light and spreads beautifully.
- The pigment is rich and all you need is just a couple of tiny drops to give you that honey dew glow like it is from deep within.
- It has a subtle shine that reflects in the sunlight or in the evening to make you look “wow”.
- This is available in two shades, “Loving peach” for duskier tones and “sparkling love” meant for lighter tones.
- This is priced moderately high for a premium product.
- The only thing is, we wish there were more shades to cater to more of the different skin shades in India.
|Moderately.||Not many shades that suit the Indian skin tone.|
#5 – Wet n Wild Megaglo Highlighter for Indin skin tone
Wet n Wild Megaglo Highlighter comes in the form of a pressed powder, easy to apply and blend regardless of whether you are a newbie or an artist.
- The texture is smooth, very light and it feels soft on the skin.
- It looks very pearly in the pack but when applied you get a very nice shine that looks natural.
- This is priced like a regular drugstore product but the quality and the pigment is on par with premium branded makeup.
- The packaging is not great and it feels a little flimsy. That is the only downside to this.
- Use a brush to dust it across your cheekbones and other areas you want to highlight.
|Great texture.||Packaging is flimsy.|
#6 – Lakme Face Sheer Highlighter for Indian skin
You cannot really have a list of the best makeup for Indian women without Lakme on it. This “Made in India” brand knows its customers perfectly well, understands our needs and caters to exactly the type of skin we have, keeping up with international standards of quality.
- The Lakme Face Sheer highlighter is amazingly light on the skin and it doesn’t feel like you have another layer of makeup on.
- You get two shades in this – a “desert rose” which feels like a blush with pink undertones and a “sun kissed” which has bronze and gold undertones.
- Both are well suited for Indian skin tones and look quite good on fair as well as wheatish and dusky women.
- The container is tiny and compact, easy to slip into your purse or makeup kit. It comes with a sponge applicator but unless you have lots of practice, we suggest you skip it and use a soft brush to blend the highlighter to give you a natural glow.
- Priced on par with Maybelline, this is a moderately placed highlighter, not too heavy on the wallet.
Those were the best highlighters you can find in India. Here is some more info on highlighters:
What are the types of highlighters
- Powder highlighter: These, as the name suggests come in a compact or loose powder container. They are very subtle and can be dusted on with a brush. They leave a light layer of shimmer and glow with one application. These are quite easy to blend with the right brush
- Liquid highlighter: These are pigmented heavier than the powder ones. So these leave a stronger highlight with just one layer of the application. You can use a brush or your fingertips to blend this in.
- Cream highlighter: These usually come in a stick and are easy to apply and blend in. This is a great option for those who aren’t experts when it comes to applying makeup.
Is a highlighter used before or after foundation?
Use the highlighter after your foundation. Go in this order: toner, moisturiser, primer, foundation and then everything else. Foundation helps even out your skin and give you a smooth texture on which it becomes easy for the rest of the makeup to sit on. Make sure you buy the right foundation for Indian skin.
Where do I apply highlighter?
Use it on areas that you want to highlight and add dimension to. Your cheekbones, the bridge of your nose and your cupid’s bow are the perfect places to dab this on to give you a chiselled and youthful appearance. You can also blend in a bit under your eyes to hide those dark shadows and make you look brighter.
What shades of highlighter suit Indian skin tone?
Indian skin tones are warmer than Caucasian skin tones and require different shades that complement our features. Use shades with peach and silver for wheatish skin tones and gold and bronze for duskier skin colour.
Why must you use a highlighter?
A highlighter is used to contour your facial features and give you a chiselled look. It does the opposite of contouring powder, by attracting light and giving you a warm, dewy glow that feels like you are healthy and full of life. This is not the same as glitter, which is what some people mistake. Though a bit of sparkle might look nice, a highlighter is supposed to make you look like you are glowing from the inside.
With the above list, we are sure you will make your peace with an appropriate brand and settle with how effective it turns out on your skin.