Having curly hair is one of the biggest boons a woman can have. You can flex it in any way you want and not worry about appearing boring. But when it comes to maintaining those curls, it can be quite a task. Check out our list of the Best Shampoos for Curly Hair In India for all the details.
Considering every aspect of your day to day life such as the weather, pollution and other factors what is the most important is giving your hair a good wash at the end of the day with a shampoo that compliments your curls and treats them right. If you are wondering if there are in fact shampoos for curly hair in India, fret not, here are our top picks!
After having reviewed all the shampoos for curly hair in India based on various factors like effectiveness, suitability, longevity, features, function, price and much more; my team and I zeroed in on 10 that really stood out. These 10 were put through a series of tests to determine the best. We found that:
The best shampoos for curly hair in India is L’Oreal 6 oil nourish shampoo for curly hair. It is infused with 6 oils: coconut, olive, camelina, Argan, jojoba and almond that not only prevent hair fall but also tame frizzy hair. This shampoo for curly hair can even nourish the hair with each wash.
- Top shampoos for curly hair in India
- L’Oreal 6 oil nourish shampoo for curly hair
- Tresemme keratin smooth shampoo
- Herbal Essence shampoo for curly hair
- Matrix biolage shampoo for curly hair
- WOW apple cider vinegar shampoo
- OGX Kukui shampoo for curly hair
- Macadamia natural oil shampoo
- Schwarzkopf shampoo for curly hair
- L’occitane intensive repair shampoo
- Mamaearth Happy heads shampoo
Top shampoos for curly hair in India
L’Oreal 6 oil nourish shampoo for curly hair
L’Oreal is one of the most renowned hair product companies in the world and here is one exclusively for curly hair. It’s one of the Best Shampoos for Curly Hair In India.
- This shampoo is perfect for those who not only have curly hair but also those that suffer from frizzy hair and hair fall. It is infused with 6 oils like coconut, olive, camelina, Argan, jojoba and almond that make it one of the best in its segment.
- The 6 oil formula nourishes your hair and keeps it strong and healthy. While having curly hair, the pollutants can make your hair dry and dull. The oils in this shampoo can bring back life and lustre to your hair with each wash.
- The shampoo also provides 48-hour protection to your hair so that your strands are kept strong all day long. Besides making your hair shiny and attractive, it also adds to the volume of your hair.
What’s amazing is that you can see the effects of this shampoo after just one wash. My frizzy hair was completely tamed after 1 wash. Additionally, this shampoo is also suitable for other types of hair. Most importantly, it is important to leave it on for some time as it nourishes the scalp.
- Enhances hair strands and nourishes the hair from root to the tip.
Related: Best Hair Brushes In India
Tresemme keratin smooth shampoo
Tresemme offers a product for every hair type and makes sure that your hair problems find a solution.
- With a mixture of keratin and argan oil, this shampoo blends in well and gives your curly hair a salon-like feel. You can use this shampoo as often as you’d like as it can make your hair strands stronger and silkier.
- This shampoo is low in sulfate and is infused with natural oils that not only help your hair become smoother and shiny but it also makes the hair easy to style. From experience, we’ve found it to work wonders with oil treatments. In fact, even the manufacturers claim that it works wonders with Indian hair.
The shine of your hair is enhanced and made more visible with each wash using this shampoo. Another important part of this shampoo is that it controls frizz for about 3 days which is pretty impressive.
- Amazing frizz control.
Herbal Essence shampoo for curly hair
Herbal essence is one of the most trusted skin and hair care products that work wonders with different needs.
- The twisted curls shampoo has the best impact on women with curls as it can keep them intact and also healthy by nourishing them with the necessary nutrients.
This shampoo is perfect for coloured curly hair and can keep the colour on the hair without disrupting the texture of the hair in any way. The ingredients used in this shampoo are natural and can have no negative impact on the texture of the hair.
- Naturally derived ingredients.
- Not as effective as one would expect
Related: Best Hair Colour in India
Matrix biolage shampoo for curly hair
Matrix is another brand that is making a buzz for its superb and effective products for all hair types. Being one of the best shampoos for curly hair in India, the biolage version of Matrix has the quality of nourishing the hair strands from the roots.
- The effect it has on your hair is for a long time and can make a huge impact on the health of your hair. Unruly curls and thick hair can be tamed by using this shampoo at least 2 times a week.
The natural oils in this shampoo are a way of enriching the hair of its texture and elevating its hair growth in ways. The shampoo controls the humidity factor in your hair and does not impact your hair in any way.
- Best for dry and frizzy hair.
WOW apple cider vinegar shampoo
WOW is a brand online that has the best products for the skin and hair related products that will help you maintain your hair easily.
- They have a recipe that dates back to the time when people crushed herbs and other ayurvedic plants to help their hair grow healthily.
This has all the qualities to keep your curly hair shiny and in form for a long time. Apple cider vinegar is a great ingredient to balance the pH of your hair and maintain it by nourishing your hair follicles. This works really well with Indian curly hair.
- Natural ingredients
- Does not work on dry hair
OGX Kukui shampoo for curly hair
This shampoo involves a special ingredient called the kukui nut oil which changes the coarse of your hair and makes your curly hair softer and bouncier.
- The shampoo works into giving your hair a shiny look and can keep the curls bouncy all day long. Use this shampoo every alternative day for the best results.
This works as a great shield against humidity and takes off the dryness from your scalp keeping your scalp and strands hydrated for a long time.
- Very effective for dry and thick hair
Macadamia natural oil shampoo
Besides the attractive bottle it comes in, Macadamia oil extract oil works its way into nourishing the hair and giving the best results.
- This involves macadamia oil and argan oil which work its way into the roots and nourishes the hair follicles to give you healthy-looking hair.
The main aim of this shampoo is to rejuvenate your hair texture and give you more voluminous hair. It works its way through the curls keeping it healthy and strong. This shampoo is capable of making the driest hair strands a better texture and feel.
- Makes the hair more voluminous.
Schwarzkopf shampoo for curly hair
Schwarzkopf shampoo is a salon used in hair salons a lot and that’s why is a great investment to make and save money on those salon visits you make.
- It contains a biomimetic tech ]nology which contains natural oils that are lightweight and does not feel heavy on your hair strands. If you have rough and unruly hair this shampoo is sure to fix it in no time.
This is also known to enhance hair growth significantly. Another important part of using this shampoo is that it is a moisturiser so your curls can be kept glossy and shiny all day long.
- Can get salon-like perfection.
L’occitane intensive repair shampoo
Loccitane is a premium brand that gives only the best of hair related products to give you enhanced and instant results for curly hair.
- If you have damaged hair because of various factors, this shampoo will rectify and work into making it stronger and glossier.
The 5 oil formula is a real game-changer for curly hair and can make a huge difference in the way you maintain your hair. The trouble you usually go through for maintaining and grooming your curly hair will be reduced by a lot once you start using this shampoo.
- Adds volume to the hair.
- Very costly
Mamaearth Happy heads shampoo
Mamaearth is another naturally oriented brand in India that has the best of skincare and hair related products.
- This shampoo is suitable for all hair types and gives special care to your hair strands nourishing them from the roots all the way up to the tip of the hair.
- It’s free of paraben which means your hair is not prone to any chemicals. So if you are someone with sensitive curly hair, you have nothing to worry about.
The scalp is kept neat and clean with the ingredients that are used in this shampoo. Another aspect of this shampoo that customers have pointed out is that it instantly stops hair fall and gives your stronger hair strands.
- A great cleaning agent
How To Choose The Best Shampoo For Curly Hair in India?
Before you spend a few hundred rupees on a shampoo for your curly hair, there a certain factors you need to consider. Especially, since buying the wrong shampoo can result in hair fall and other types of hair damage.
- It took me years to understand the actual relevance of a Chemical-free shampoo. A chemical-free shampoo is especially harsh on curly hair as the sulfate content strips the natural oils making curly hair extremely frizzy and dry. This makes it susceptible to breakage and hair fall.
- So, it’s absolutely vital you invest in a sulfate-free hair shampoo that’s perfect for curly hair. Sulfate-free and ammonia-free shampoos are extremely beneficial for those with coloured hair as it doesn’t strip away the colour as fast as other shampoos.
- As mentioned earlier curly hair tends to be frizzy and dry, you need to get a shampoo that can actually help nourish the hair to help it look healthy. So, by investing in a shampoo that contains moisturizes such as milk and oils, you can tame the frizz and even prevent hair damage.
- You should Ideally look for shampoos with a special conditioner as the conditioner is the key to taming frizzy hair. If you have lots of hair fall then you should look at doctor recommended shampoos that contain hair regrowth ingredients.
- Moisturizing ingredients are an absolute must if you have curly hair that is susceptible to frizzy. I’ve saved so much time by buying a deep moisturizing shampoo that contain milk proteins. It not only helps save extra grooming time but it also adds definition to curls. Not to mention a serious amount of pain when combing.
- If you’re turned off by the thought of milk proteins, there are deep moisturizing shampoos with soy protein alternative.
- It’s unfortunate that not a lot of people actually know about hydrating agents in shampoos. The right formulation can do wonders for curly hair that’s on the dry side. If you have rough hair with serious damage or curly locks with brittle hair , then you seriously benefit from hydrators like natural oils, butters or even glycerin.
- Any of these ingredients can give that shine and smoothness back to the hair. The only ingredient that you should get is silicone. While this hydrating agent might help other types of hair, it can build up on curl hair, causing it to become heavy and lose it’s shape.
No Sulfates or Harsh Detergents
- This is something I learnt way too late. Sulfates and harsh detergents can strip the natural oils and moisture from the hair, leaving it dry. Long term consequences would be dry damage. This is especially bad for people with curly hair as it can cause terrible knots and really bad frizz.
Tips to care for naturally curly hair
Taking care of curly hair is honestly quite difficult. But with the right tool and tips, you won’t have to wake up like the bride of Frankenstein every morning. Here are some tips from the pros to help you care for your naturally curly hair.
Know your hair type
- The first thing you need to do is find out if your hair is naturally curly. A lot of people mistake their wavey or coily hair for curly hair. Yes, they are very different. This way it’ll be extremely easy to get the right type of shampoo, conditioner and other hair styling products. It would be best if you can go to a stylist and understand the subtypes of your hair as well.
- This is because curly hair that’s thin and dry needs to treated very differently than curly hair with thick locks.
Prep before you wash
- Those with curly hair need to prep quite a bit before they even start their hair care. For example, you need to use a conditioner to detangle the hair before you wash it. You also need to massage the product into the strands and then separate the tangled curls, before you shampoo.
How to wash your curly hair the right way?
Since your curly hair is harder to maintain than the rest of the hair types here is the right procedure to follow to nail your hair wash game.
- Use a pre-wash conditioner or hair oil and leave it on for a good 15 minutes.
- Never use the shampoo with bare hands on your scalp. Too much of a product can make your curly hair even more frizzy or dry. So mix it with water and pour it over your head.
- Massage your scalp well and make sure the shampoo reaches your scalp and till the end of your hair strands.
- If you used a hair oil, use the right conditioner and wash it off.
- Dry your hair gently with a towel or a good quality hair dryer and end the process. You can use serums that suit your hair and can keep the curls intact.
Kishen is the Editor-in-chief of Best India Products and is also our top reviewer. He loves testing product quality and is extremely fond of accessories that bring value to the user.
Check out Bestindiaproducts.com for all of his Reviews and Guides!